The SCORM cloud

General talk about eLearning offers, promises and pitfalls. Feel free to introduce yourself and discuss about what you need or offering here.

The SCORM cloud

Postby skippybosco » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:51 am

A post today on eLearningWeekly talks about the notion of the "SCORM cloud" service from Rustici Software.

How does that happen? Essentially, your course content sits out on the cloud (much like your Google Docs or your Flickr pictures), and SCORM Cloud lets you deliver it wherever you want. SCORM Cloud tracks and records the same things SCORM 2004 (or 1.2 or AICC) would in your LMS and reports them back. So you can score quizzes, track interactions or set sequencing for any content you upload to the SCORM Cloud. No LMS required.

As of now, Rustici Software has already integrated SCORM Cloud with several open source LMSs such as Moodle and Sakai. And they tell me that they are close to having it ready to work with WordPress and iGoogle. The current integrations are open-source and flexible enough to allow for customizations, and you can even build your own integration if you want to use SCORM Cloud somewhere they have haven’t considered yet.

They have documented the process a bit, but to be honest it seems like you're trading one evil for another (your LMS for their hosted service). The selling point is SCORM 2004 support which is already there for eFront 3.6.

That being said, I do like the idea of interacting with LMS content as a service, which btw I think is mostly covered by the API extensions discussed in the 3.7 extensions brainstorming.

How might we use it?

A few of their examples are spot on such as the ability to embed user specific LMS interaction within 3rd party scripts or websites (school blog, facebook). Say for example I want to embed a Test Question or Survey within a wordpress blog post that records the results to the students eFront account, or create a facebook block that shows the users lesson completion % on their Facebook blocks in their profile.

To that point. The ability to embed Test question or survey within an eFront unit could be useful (uservoice)

Something else came to mind, however, which currently is not covered by them or eFront. The notion of an eFront admin or professor subscribing to content which is automatically added as courses/units/lessons/questions/tests/etc. into eFront. Essentially the notion of syndicated LMS content.

This would allow me to create, for example, a chinese language course that I can make available to a number of schools running eFront. They can set up the course and assign their students and subscribe to my content feed. As I publish new content (units, files, tests, etc.) they automatically are presented to the students (or locally moderated by professor if configured)..

Just a random thought (and not yet worth me spending a uservoice vote on mind you!).. that might fit into the upcoming eFront module/theme/lesson catalog.
skippybosco

Re: The SCORM cloud

Postby skippybosco » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:49 am

Following up on "The SCORM cloud" as they have been making some press today as a result of their Wordpress integration they just announced

we’ve taken that first step away from the LMS with a WordPress plug-in that allows you to offer a SCORM course right from a post or page or sidebar list.

This is a continuance of the notion of the API expansion for eFront v4 in support of making eFront content externally available from 3rd party applications, essentially offering the power of eFront as a back end service.
skippybosco

Postby waleeed12 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:19 pm

This would allow me to create, for example, a chinese language course that I can make available to a number of schools running eFront. They can set up the course and assign their students and subscribe to my content feed. As I publish new content (units, files, tests, etc.) they automatically are presented to the students (or locally moderated by professor if configured)..
== Solitaire ==
waleeed12

Postby skippybosco » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:54 pm

Chinese language course? Where in the world are you located?
skippybosco

Return to eLearning Discussion