Mobile Learning

General talk about eLearning offers, promises and pitfalls. Feel free to introduce yourself and discuss about what you need or offering here.

Mobile Learning

Postby papagel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:27 pm

We are working on a research proposal for building eFront clients for Iphone and Android mobile phones.
Through this process I have stumble upon an interesting post from UpsideLearning that summarizes most available resources regarding mobile learning today.

Might be interested resource for your future reference:
http://www.upsidelearning.com/blog/inde ... resources/
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
papagel

Re: Mobile Learning

Postby skippybosco » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:00 am

Are you considering a generic client that admins can re-brand for their sites or one app that would act as a connectivity portal to many eFront sites?

Curious as to the rationale of a iPhone or Android native application versus a device specific theme that emulates the visual and usability of the device? Local caching of content on the device for offline is certainly a reason, but (at least on Android and Windows mobile devices) Google Gears provides an option to do that.
skippybosco

Postby papagel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:26 am

Actually there are two directions for mobile development.

a) Build a mobile-browser theme.
This is the easiest one and we are working towards this direction. v3.6 already can identify a mobile client and select a theme based on that.

b) Native applications for mobile devices. An example of this is the Facebook application for IPhone. You can view Facebook via its mobile powered site at m.facebook.com but the functionality, speed, visuals and easy-of use-is just one step ahead on the native application offering an altogether better experience.
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
papagel

Postby skippybosco » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:41 am

Would you envision the eFront Native application (if one gets developed) would be released to the admins for their own branding and submission or a single generalized application that is used to connect to all eFront installations?

papagel wrote:b) Native applications for mobile devices. An example of this is the Facebook application for IPhone. You can view Facebook via its mobile powered site at m.facebook.com but the functionality, speed, visuals and easy-of use-is just one step ahead on the native application offering an altogether better experience.
skippybosco

Postby papagel » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:47 am

We envision a white-label application that will be added to IPhone and Android application store and will allow to select the eFront server you want to connect to.

Although such an application cannot be altered/customized for each individual eFront, a custom logo may be fetched from the eFront server directly to brand it.
papagel

Postby skippybosco » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:11 am

great. I would participate in a funding round for the development of such an application. :-)
skippybosco

Postby tomex » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:25 pm

this project is really interesting (moodle based), you might know it
http://mle.sourceforge.net/
been testing it for some time with success, making such ap for EF would be great
tomex

Postby papagel » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:00 pm

tomex wrote:this project is really interesting (moodle based), you might know it
http://mle.sourceforge.net/
been testing it for some time with success, making such ap for EF would be great

I've seen it by searching for mobile implementation. It indeed looks nice.
However, it has been built using older generation technologies that did not offer the goodies of current Iphone/Android phones. I do believe that these small touches will make a big difference on learning communities.
papagel

Postby lister » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I personally think that you should really push for an iphone app etc. I am not sure how more to contribute to this thread suffice to say that it would certainly add value to this product but also the user. Constant access to material is clearly a winner in education. Maybe just to start with just accessing course material?
Using Educational Edition 3.6.12 Latest
lister

Postby skippybosco » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:26 am

Another open source project that I am involved with (eCommerce package Magento) just recently announced a "mobile" offering to compliment a retailers shop.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/product/mobile

One "value add" they provide is managing the app compile and submission process on behalf of each retailer as part of a recurring monthly service:

Supporting a native app can be time consuming and tedious, so we manage the submission & support lifecycle for one low monthly fee. We manage the complexity of mobile apps so you can focus on running your business!

With respect to eFront, as I adopt to using my Android phone and iPad as my primary devices, I'm more strongly in favor of a "touch" based theme (perhaps one targeted at tablet devices with larger screens) in addition to the existing mobile theme.

I also believe there is opportunity for exploiting some of the advances in HTML5 for "offline" application processing and storage to increase performance of eFront (by localizing some components client side) as well as providing offline / syncing capabilities.
skippybosco

Next

Return to eLearning Discussion