10 tips for eFront

Suggestions, General Discussion and Feature Requests about eFront

Re: 10 tips for eFront

Postby skippybosco » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:33 am

1) What are all the different formats that I can upload questions? Do I have to get them into a specific format and enter them 1-by-1, or is there an easier mechanism. For example, suppose I have 1000 question bank for a course in powerpoint or excel (assume multiple choice or true/false), how do I get them into eFront?

1a) What are all the different formats that I can upload content for lessons/chapters? Assume I have content in powerpoint slides or word document right now. What's the most efficient way to get content into eFront?

I do not believe there is an automated way to import into eFront unless you convert your content to SCORM or GIF/AIKEN.

3) Can eFront allow me to weight the questions (easy - medium - difficult)?

Yes.

4) Can eFront allow me to categorize the questions (for example, question 1 is related to time management, question 2 relates to procurement, etc.)?

Yes and provide a breakdown analysis of the results of the test for performance by category

5) Suppose for each lesson, I want to have a QUIZ with questions related to that lesson. Can I point to the QUESTION BANK and create a test using only questions from the category "time management"?

Yes, you can create a pooled test based on all questions, specific questions or specific by category.

6) And finally, I want to have create lessons/chapters but force the user to complete chapter 1 and PASS the chapter 1 quiz BEFORE they can proceed with chapter 2. Is that possible?

Yes eFront has a feature called "Course / Lesson Rules" which allows for that kind of logic to be defined.

7) Can I have a pre-set time duration that a course is open to a user. For example, user only has 90 days to complete the course. After which, they lose access to that course or the course is locked?

Yes.
skippybosco

Postby papagel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:46 am

1. Actually, there is a module on our site called GIFT/AIKEN that allows you to mass import questions from text files that follow the GIFT or AIKEN format. We will offer another module during this week that will allow you to import questions by filling an excel prototype (already working for a customer).
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
papagel

Postby tejjyid » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:55 am

As far as using Articulate goes, a couple of questions: Does this recommendation mean that eFront will not be focussing on developing its test-building facilities, but rather relying on external suppliers? Also, how do I integrate the results from Articulate quiz's into eFront's student record-keeping? Thanks
tejjyid

Postby papagel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:32 am

tejjyid wrote:As far as using Articulate goes, a couple of questions: Does this recommendation mean that eFront will not be focussing on developing its test-building facilities, but rather relying on external suppliers? Also, how do I integrate the results from Articulate quiz's into eFront's student record-keeping? Thanks

Articulate and other suppliers offer a SCORM based way to include tests - these are integrated with efront's student record-keeping. No SCORM tool will be able to offer the flexibility of the internal efront test-building facilities so we are not abandoning this path - on the contrary we are working on some major improvements there.
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
papagel

Postby tejjyid » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:46 am

Thanks for that. Is there an easy way to keep abreast of those developments? (I'll hunt around the forums/site anyway).
tejjyid

Postby periklis » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:28 am

Well, I guess the easiest way is to keep an eye on the changelogs in each version :)
Periklis Venakis
Consider our wide range of added-value services to get things running smoothly on your eLearning environment
periklis

Postby skippybosco » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:41 am

@periklis: might suggest websvn. We use it for a number of projects. In addition to a nice web based interface into the svn, it also allows for users to subscribe to rss feed of commits :-)

You can see a demo here:

http://demo.websvn.info/listing.php?repname=WebSVN&
skippybosco

Postby periklis » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:48 am

It looks really nice. I think it deserves an in-depth look (but after 3.6 is out, which drains every last bit of resources right now)
Periklis Venakis
Consider our wide range of added-value services to get things running smoothly on your eLearning environment
periklis

Postby earthwormbaby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 pm

Hi, can you suggest free or open source alternatives to the Articulate products you mentioned?
thx
earthwormbaby

Postby skippybosco » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 am

I guess that depends on what features you are looking for.

One place to start your search is Ohloh, a full catalog of the open source projects out there.

There are also freeware / shareware apps as well which provide similar functionality.
skippybosco

PreviousNext

Return to eFront