10 tips for eFront

Suggestions, General Discussion and Feature Requests about eFront

10 tips for eFront

Postby papagel » Fri May 23, 2008 9:08 am

10 Tips for using eFront

1) [professor] Zip and upload multiple images. Then just unzip on the server. This process is much faster than uploading one file at a time.

2) [admin] Use the search facility to locate users. Just type a part of the user name or login and the search will locate him allowing you to edit his info.

3) [professor] Use the open-source version to create locally lessons and then just upload them to you distant server. It is much faster!

4) [professor] Use Articulate quiz-maker, Articulate engage, Snag-it and Camtasia to produce rich media that will astonish everyone.

5) [professor] Create the structure of the lesson prior adding content

6) [professor] Copying from word directly to the integrated editor is possible but it adds unecessary word-specific tags. Instead, try to paste on notepad and then transfer them to the html view of the internal editor (it gives you much more control on your content)

7) [professor] Build a pool of questions first. Add dozens. Then combine them and create an unlimited number of tests.

8) [professor] Make sure you describe your lessons adequately. Your descriptions will be visible when users point the mouse over the lesson.

9) [admin] From the admin panel you can switch between a basic and an advanced external view. Also, you may create your own external pages with info for your organization. eFront, allows you to build any number of external pages with links from one to another so you can build complex external interfaces. Just remember to include a link to the main eFront login page as well.

10)[professor] Create small, coherent lessons. Then combine them to courses. Give diplomas for people that have finish courses to motivate them!
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
papagel

Re: 10 tips for eFront

Postby chocobo2k » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:41 pm

Thank you Papagel for the tips. I found the zip for images to be very useful. I didn't understand point 3 though. Can you explain more in details?
chocobo2k

Postby skippybosco » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:47 pm

chocobo2k,

I believe what he is referring to is that you can set up a local version of eFront using something like XAMPP or the published VM.

Creating content on your local version will be very quick (since there is no additional users or internet latency. Once you have a final lesson/course, you can upload it to your production servers for your Students to enjoy.
skippybosco

Postby areyna » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 am

8) [professor] Make sure you describe your lessons adequately. Your descriptions will be visible when users point the mouse over the lesson.

Good Day,
We're adding the description, we go an check and the data is not save.

The professor is having a lot of problems, to add the MetaData and the Description.

We are in Godaddy.com hosting.
We have PHP 5.2.5
Apache
last version of Efront

Thank you, for your help.
areyna

Postby periklis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 am

Is it possible to provide us with a url and a username/password so we can check it out ourselves? pm me the details.
Periklis Venakis
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
Consider our wide range of added-value services to get things running smoothly on your eLearning environment
periklis

Postby socius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:27 am

From the admin panel you can switch between a basic and an advanced external view. Also, you may create your own external pages with info for your organization.

Could you be a bit more specific?
Where/how do you switch views?
How to set an external page as the default pre-login start page? Is it just a matter of setting the page as default?
socius

Postby periklis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:06 am

From administrator panel -> system configuration -> layout you may customize the appearance of the index page. If you want to create a completely separate set of pages, you can use the "External pages" option from the administrator's control panel.
If you need further info, we'll be happy to provide you.
Periklis Venakis
Consider our wide range of added-value services to get things running smoothly on your eLearning environment
periklis

Postby socius » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:51 pm

periklis wrote:If you want to create a completely separate set of pages, you can use the "External pages" option from the administrator's control panel.

OK, got that; but when I create an external page, set it as default and log out again, I would expect to see that page, but nothing happens :( ; efront still opens with the regular index page. Or is this just a problem with the demo installation?
socius

Postby periklis » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Yes, this is because logging out does not redirect you to the custom page. If you visit the first page, you will see the custom page you created. If you want your users to be redirected automatically to this page after they logout, you can set this to administrator's system configuration ("Redrect after logout to:" option)
Periklis Venakis
periklis

Postby boylogik » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Regarding #7)
[professor] Build a pool of questions first. Add dozens. Then combine them and create an unlimited number of tests.

Regarding Questions, I have a few ?s:
1) What are all the different formats that I can upload questions? Do I have to get them into a specific format and enter them 1-by-1, or is there an easier mechanism. For example, suppose I have 1000 question bank for a course in powerpoint or excel (assume multiple choice or true/false), how do I get them into eFront?

1a) What are all the different formats that I can upload content for lessons/chapters? Assume I have content in powerpoint slides or word document right now. What's the most efficient way to get content into eFront?

2) Question Banks: If I upload the 1000 questions, and now I want to randomize that as the FINAL EXAM for the course (assuming each chapter/lesson is completed), can eFront do that?

3) Can eFront allow me to weight the questions (easy - medium - difficult)?

4) Can eFront allow me to categorize the questions (for example, question 1 is related to time management, question 2 relates to procurement, etc.)?

5) Suppose for each lesson, I want to have a QUIZ with questions related to that lesson. Can I point to the QUESTION BANK and create a test using only questions from the category "time management"?

6) And finally, I want to have create lessons/chapters but force the user to complete chapter 1 and PASS the chapter 1 quiz BEFORE they can proceed with chapter 2. Is that possible?

7) Can I have a pre-set time duration that a course is open to a user. For example, user only has 90 days to complete the course. After which, they lose access to that course or the course is locked?

Answers to these questions will really help me determine if eFront is right for me. Sorry if these are basic, but I did my due diligence using the demo and couldn't figure out the answers. Thank you.
boylogik

Next

Return to eFront