SEO

Suggestions, General Discussion and Feature Requests about eFront

SEO

Postby donkeli » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:39 pm

Is there a possibility to make lesson titles be optimized for search engines?
donkeli

Re: SEO

Postby skippybosco » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:14 am

Currently the Title of the lesson is included in the <title> tag, if that is what you mean?

If you are referring to search engine friendly URLs (mydomain.com/lesson_name) than it sounds like there is some interest from the Dev team:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=244

SEO as a whole though... let's see, what would we want:

1) Friendly URLs a must (mydomain.com\(course}\{lesson} or mydomain.com\{lesson}\{unit}
2) Titles showing {course} - {lesson} - {unit}
3) Meta information populated from course, lesson, unit information (description, keywords, etc)
4) Automated sitemap generation and submission

Some things are already there for us such as allowing image text alternatives, link titles, etc.

Where you will run into issue today is that you have to log in to via the actual content so search engines can only spider the front page.
skippybosco

Postby papagel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:38 am

We've got in mind the suggestions for friendly URLs.
We plan to include a an "external publish" option for lessons that will provide an easy way for not-logged users to check out the content and search engines to spider it.
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
papagel

Postby skippybosco » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:04 pm

That is 2 out of 4 on our list.

Sitemaps could probably be generated via Module instead of core,which, assuming the Module architecture supports writing files to domain root, this is something I would be probably be able to code. This would leave only meta data being needing to be populated (keywords and description) to be fairly SEO complete.

When "externally publishing" I might suggest:

1. If possible, using DIVs instead of frames
2. Ensure XHTML compliant
3. Defining best practices for adhering to an <H#> tag structure (half the work will be on the external publishing mechanism, but Author will half the burden when creating their content to not re-use <H#> tags in their HTML content. This is where best practices is important IMO.

Unrelated to SEO, making an XML version of the content available would make it more consumable by third party sites and apps :-)
Last edited by skippybosco on Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skippybosco

Postby periklis » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:49 pm

We are planning to provide XML output for many efront entities in post-3.5.2 releases
Periklis Venakis
eFront- eLearning and Skill Development Solution for Companies and Educational Institutes
Consider our wide range of added-value services to get things running smoothly on your eLearning environment
periklis

Postby skippybosco » Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:18 am

Is there still plans for XML related outputs post 3.5.2 as it is not currently listed on the RoadMap.

Specifically I'm interested in what efforts are being made to separate logic from presentation (whether that is via XML or some other means). We are interested in extending interactive access to content and tests from a Facebook application and a native iPhone application.
skippybosco

Postby periklis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 am

Well, we haven't published all our plans for extending eFront in the RoadMap. We haven't concluded on which version each of them will be included. So, although XML is within our plans, I can't tell you for when it is going to be scheduled (yet).
Periklis Venakis
Consider our wide range of added-value services to get things running smoothly on your eLearning environment
periklis

Postby areyna » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:27 am

About the Sitemap, is there any news?
by the way, Excellent Application :D
areyna

Postby skippybosco » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:13 am

Are there still plans for reworking some of the SEO aspects of eFront?

One specific thing that is causing me grief is how the page titles and URLs are displayed. I use either GetClicky and Google Analytics for tracking site analytics on my various sites. What I run into is that the content view is not very intuitive at the moment as a result of the current implementation of title tag and URL structure:

click.jpg
click.jpg (63.52 KiB) Viewed 6503 times

Note that the page title is always: "SiteName | Site Motto" as a result of the title tag being set via HTML:

Code: Select all
<title>SiteName | SiteMotto</title>

and later redefined via javascript:

top.document.title = "SiteName | Lesson";

I assume this is done as a result of the framing to prevent a full page load. I wonder what other options are available to be more compatible with analytic tracking software.

Also, to make this tracking information meaningful, should title be:

"Unit Name | Lesson Name | Site Name"

and URL be:
with course:
http://mydomain.com/course_name/lesson_name/unit_name

without course:
http://mydomain.com/lesson_name/unit_name
skippybosco

Postby papagel » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Skippy,

These additions are part of our todo list for a long time now.
Your suggestions are reasonable one and we will try to make them part of v3.6
papagel

Next

Return to eFront